The Father’s Day Council of Tucson will celebrate five outstanding Tucson fathers at the 16th Annual Fathers of the Year Awards Dinner & Gala on Saturday, June 19, at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, 7000 North Resort Drive.
The FDC Awards Dinner and Gala honors men who have demonstrated they are dedicated fathers, outstanding community role models and successful in their chosen field.
This year’s honorees are:
- Larry Aldrich, president and CEO, University Physicians Healthcare
- Michael Deitch, secretary/treasurer; CFO, The Providence Service Corporation
- Brian Larson, vice president/CFO, R&R Products, Inc.
- Robert D. Ramirez, president/CEO, Vantage West Credit Union
- Mick Rusing, founding partner, Rusing & Lopez, P.L.L.C.
No-host cocktails begin at 5:30 p.m., with dinner and program starting at 7 p.m. There will be a live auction during the program as well.
During the past 15 years, the Father’s Day Council of Tucson has raised more than $2 million for type 1 diabetes research and clinical programs at the Steele Children’s Research Center at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. This year’s event will fund four important goals:
- Support Research — Beta cell antigens in early type 1 diabetes
This project seeks to discover novel interventions aimed at preventing the development of type 1 diabetes, which also may improve the success of islet transplants to treat type 1 diabetes.
- Expand TrialNet — Implement study of oral insulin to prevent diabetes in children identified to be at high risk
The Steele Center will establish the Steele Center/Angel Wing as a center for the TrialNet Oral Insulin study so that children at high risk for diabetes will have local access to this promising intervention. This study arises from the recently completed Diabetes Prevention Trial 1 (DPT-1), which indicated oral insulin may help delay or prevent type 1 diabetes in some people at risk.
- Continue support for a part-time child psychologist to assist families
- Continued support for the Angel Wing’s child psychologist will provide help for additional families who have to deal with the financial, physical and psychological stresses of type 1 diabetes.
- Continue support of the Father’s Day Council of Tucson Endowed Chair for Type 1 Diabetes.
The endowed chair supports training programs for medical students, residents and fellows. In addition, post-doctoral fellows and graduate student researchers will receive support for their type 1 diabetes studies. Endowment funds also will enhance clinical programs and services at the Angel Wing.
ASSIGNMENT EDITORS/HEALTH REPORTERS PLEASE NOTE: News media are welcome to cover this event. To make arrangements, please contact AHSC Public Affairs at (520) 626-7301.