Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 5:30pm
The Father’s Day Council of Tucson will celebrate five outstanding Tucson fathers at the 17th Annual Fathers of the Year Awards Dinner & Gala on Saturday, June 18, at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, 7000 North Resort Drive.
The FDC Awards Dinner and Gala honors men who have demonstrated they are dedicated fathers, outstanding community role models and successful in their chosen field.
This year’s honorees are:
- David J. Cohen, CPA, and executive vice-president, Beach Fleischman
- Brad Feder, managing member, Simply Bits/Nextrio/Leapscape
- Joe Gootter, chartered financial consultant, Chartered Life Underwriter, Gootter & Associates
- Michael Parseghian, MD, orthopaedic surgeon and president of Tucson Orthopaedic Institute
- Rick Zamorano, M Div, JCL, Department of Theology, Salpointe Catholic High School
No-host cocktails begin at 5:30 p.m., with dinner and program starting at 7 p.m. There will be a live auction during the program as well.
Auction items include:
1. Martini Party for 25 in the Loews Ventana Canyon Presidential Suite
2. Wrigley Field Rooftop Dining in Chicago
3. Southern California Surf and Skate Experience
4. VIP Experience in Wine Country – your choice between Napa or Sonoma
5. European Getaway for Two – your choice between London or Paris
Over the past 16 years, the Father’s Day Council of Tucson has raised more than $2 million for type 1 diabetes research and clinical programs at the Steele Children’s Research Center at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. This year’s event will fund three important goals:
- Recruitment Support — Clinician
A portion of the funds raised this year would help Steele Center Director Fayez Ghishan, MD, recruit a fifth pediatric endocrinologist and alleviate the strain on the Angel Wing for Children with Diabetes. This significantly would help the hundreds of type 1 diabetes patients across Southern Arizona.
- American Diabetes Association — Accreditation Renewal
Accreditation from the ADA ensures continuity and comprehensive diabetes education to all patients. The Angel Wing for Children with Diabetes is up for renewal this year and funding will support that administrative process.
- Endowment Support— Father’s Day Council of Tucson Endowed Chair for Type 1 Diabetes
With more than $750,000 raised for the endowment, Father’s Day Council Tucson is well on its way to reaching the $1 million mark by the 20th anniversary. The endowed chair will support training programs for medical students, residents and fellows. In addition, post-doctoral fellows and graduate student researchers will receive support for their type 1 diabetes studies. Endowment funds also will enhance clinical programs and services at the Angel Wing for Children with Diabetes.
Tickets for this event are $175 per person and may be purchased by contacting Mariana Vazquez-Maloney at (520) 626-9773 or firstname.lastname@example.org.