The annual Arizona Rural & Public Health Policy Forum focuses on key health policy issues and their impact on Arizona’s rural and tribal communities and seeks strategies to strengthen public health systems and increase access to care for rural and tribal residents.
Preview of topics and speakers...
• “Health Insurance Exchange” - Don Hughes, Policy Advisor for Health Care and Executive Director for the Arizona Health Insurance Exchange for the Office of the Governor Janice K. Brewer
• “Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Program” - Kaihe Akahane, Health Insurance Specialist, CMS
• “Health Information Exchange” - Lorie Mayer, State HIT Coordinator, Arizona Strategic Enterprise Technology (ASET) and Melissa Rutala, CEO, Arizona Health-e Connection
• “The State of States” - Joshua Ewing, Policy Associate with the Health Program of the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). Mr. Ewing will provide background on how states are addressing health policy given the current economic climate and the ACA, and tips on how forum attendees can work with Arizona State Legislators around addressing rural and public health issues.
• “The State of American Indian Health Care” - Fred Hubbard, Executive Director, Arizona Advisory Council on Indian Health Care
• “The State of Public Health” - Bob England, MD, Director, Maricopa County Department of Public Health
• “Kids Care, AHCCCS Enrollment and Options, and Health Insurance Exchanges” - Matt Jewett, Director of Health Policy, Children’s Action Alliance Health Insurance for
• “Childless Adults” - Tara McCollum Plese, Director of Government and Media Relations, Arizona Association of Community Health Centers
• “Don’t Get Dropped Campaign” - Pete Wertheim, VP, Strategic Communications, Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association. This presentation will discuss the steps being taken to assist those left without health insurance and the threat that exists to eliminate insurance for kids.
For a complete list of speakers and topics, please review the Agenda >
Thursday, January 19, 2012 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Arizona State Capitol, 1700 W. Washington, Phoenix, Arizona 85007
Registration: There is a $45.00 fee.
The forum is presented by the Center for Rural Health at the University of Arizona’s Mel Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health in close collaboration with the Arizona Rural Health Association and the Arizona Public Health Association.
For more information, contact Rebecca Ruiz at (520) 626-2243.