El Pueblo Clinic and the Arizona College of Public Health Continue to Conduct TCE Screenings

El Pueblo Clinic and the Arizona College of Public Health Continue to Conduct TCE Screenings

El Pueblo Clinic and the Arizona College of Public Health Continue to Conduct TCE Screenings

El Pueblo Clinic and the Mel and Enid Zuckerman Arizona College of Public Health are continuing a medical testing program to screen for certain medical conditions related to trichlorethylene (TCE) water contamination in areas of Tucson's South Side.
People who lived, worked or attended school for at least one year between 1954 and 1980 in certain areas of Tucson's South Side may be eligible to participate in this free screening program. In general, the South Side boundaries for the program are: south of 22nd Street, north of Los Reales, east of I-19 and west of Del Moral.

"The ultimate benefit of this program will be the possible early diagnoses of treatable diseases," explains Joy Mockbee, MD, MPH, family physician and medical director at El Pueblo Clinic. Those individuals who are eligible to participate in this program will receive a complete medical history and physical exam, basic laboratory tests and any necessary follow-up testing. The program does not cover the cost of medical treatment. However, El Pueblo Clinic will help identify possible external sources of funding if treatment is necessary.

So far, the screening has identified 356 eligible participants, most of whom are female and Hispanic and the majority of whom now live in zip codes 85706 and 85746.

"We are trying to find as many eligible individuals as possible," explains Dr. Mockbee. "Many of these people have left the area and are living in different parts of town. We would like to reach them so they can be screened for the potential side effects of long-term exposure to TCE."

For more information or to determine your eligibility, please contact El Pueblo Clinic at (520) 573-0096, ext. 116, or (520) 891-1791.


El Pueblo Clinic began as the Free Clinic of Tucson in 1972 next to First Christian Church, 740 E. Speedway, then operated at several sites downtown. Now located at 101 W. Irvington Road, Bldg. C, it has cared for patients in Tucson's South Side since 1982. Established by the Arizona Board of Regents in January 2000, the Mel and Enid Zuckerman Arizona College of Public Health is the first public health college in the four corner states and represents a tri-university collaboration among the University of Arizona, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University. The Arizona College of Public Health's mission is to promote the health of individuals and communities with a special emphasis on diverse populations and the Southwest. Programs concentrate on the reduction of health disparities, the development and maintenance of healthy communities, and the promotion of healthy lifestyles