UMC Hosts Mayor's Challenge Weekly Wellness Warriors, Jan. 27 - April 14
EVENT: WEEKLY WELLNESS WARRIORS
Series of 12 weekly educational workshops for participants in the Mayor's Fitness and Weight Loss Challenge, the first city weight loss competition to emphasize the maintenance of weight loss by making long-term lifestyle changes. Workshops will provide an in-depth "coaching" experience, including information, education, inspiration and social support to help participants improve their current health and fitness levels by making small changes in eating, exercise and mental attitude. Workshops will incorporate weight loss strategies found to be successful by the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine and Agriculture's "Healthy Weight 4 Life" research study. Participants will sign a commitment form to attend at least 80 percent of the workshops offered. The Challenge is coordinated by the University of Arizona College of Medicine; implemented through the City of Tucson and supported by the Wellness Councils of Arizona, the Arizona Governor's Council on Health, Physical Fitness and Sports, as well as other cooperating groups, sponsoring agencies and funding partners.
DATES/TIME: MONDAYS, JAN. 27 - APRIL 14, 5:30 to 7 P.M.
LOCATION: University Medical Center, DuVal Auditorium
1501 N. Campbell Ave., Tucson
FEE: $15, adults; $7.50, children (maximum $45 per family). (Fee covers entire workshop series.)
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Lauve Metcalf, coordinator, Mayor's Challenge, Department of Physiology, UA College of Medicine, (520) 621-6988, email: Lauve@u.arizona.edu.
PLEASE NOTE: Upcoming workshops and topics include:
- Jan. 27, "Overview of Program," "Why Obesity and Weight Gain are a National Problem," "Our Unique Approach for Tucson," "Short-Term and Long-Term Goals," "Let's Get Started!!"
- Feb. 3, "Key Physical Activity Concepts," "Finding the Program That Will Work for You."
Feb. 10, "10 Top Nutrition Tips."
- Feb. 17, "Understanding the Mind/Body Connection," "Creating Awareness and Mindfulness in Your Eating."
- Feb. 24, "Understanding the Body Image and Self-Esteem Connection," "Valuing Your Total 'Self'."
- March 3, "The Importance of Strength Training," "Increasing Lifestyle Activity in Your Day."
- March 10, "Barriers to Long-Term Weight Loss and Maintenance of Weight Loss," "Creating a Wellness Plan for Your Life."
- March 17, "Behavioral Breakthroughs: Understanding Relapse and Rebound."
- March 24, "The Crucial Element for Success: Social Support."
- March 31, "Long-Term Weight Loss: What Do We Know?," "What IS My 'Ideal' Weight? My Long-Term Goal?"
- April 7, "Putting It All Together: Living the Program Daily."
- April 14, "Celebrating Our Success: Mayor's Challenge for the Coming Year," "Summary of Key Points," weigh-out.