Nursing in Arizona has been a “proud profession” ever since the Arizona Territory’s first nursing school was established in 1910. A display of photographs and information about “Early Hospitals in Arizona with Diploma Schools of Nursing,” including Native American students in the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps in World War II, is featured in the Arizona Health Sciences Library, Java City coffee bar area (Room 2101), 1501 N. Campbell Ave., Tucson, through June 30.
The display celebrates International Nurses’ Week, May 6-12, and the 192nd birthday of Florence Nightingale (May 12, 1820-Aug. 13, 1920), who devoted her life to nursing and campaigning for better health care and sanitation.
O pen to the public, the display may be viewed Sundays through Thursdays, 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., and Fridays and Saturdays, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Beverages and snacks may be purchased at the Java City coffee bar Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) Please note: There is a parking fee of $1.50 per hour, cash only, Mondays-Fridays, 6 a.m.-9 p.m., in The University of Arizona Medical Center – University Campus Visitor/Patient Parking Garage; the AHS Library is unable to validate parking (parking is free on Saturdays and Sundays). Free parking is available Mondays-Fridays after 5 p.m. and all day Saturdays and Sundays in UA Zone 1 lots.
The display includes photos and information about Sage Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in Ganado, Ariz., established in 1930 principally for Native Americans. It was the only accredited nursing school in the United States for Native Americans. Many of the graduates participated in the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps program established by the federal government in 1943 to ensure that the United States had enough nurses to care for citizens at home and on the war fronts.
Other hospital schools of nursing featured include the first nursing school in the Arizona Territory, established in 1910 by Sisters of Mercy at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix; the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet nursing school, which opened in 1914 at St. Mary’s Hospital in Tucson (the first male nurses graduated in 1939); the Arizona Deaconess Hospital and Home School of Nursing in Phoenix, which began in 1920; and St. Monica’s Hospital School of Nursing in Phoenix, which opened in 1944 as a non-sectarian and inter-racial hospital.
The display materials were organized by Hannah Millward Fisher, MLS, association librarian with the AHS Library. Ms. Fisher is a former nurse who now lectures on the history of nursing at the UA College of Nursing. Her first nurse’s uniform and cap that she wore as a student in 1955 now hang in her AHS Library office.
Photos and information for the display were provided by Michelle Bureau, MLS, librarian, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Tucson; Alexia Caster, librarian, Arizona Historical Society of Tucson; Catherine Dimenstein, MLS, librarian, St. Mary’s Hospital, Tucson; Marni Dittmar, MLS, Tucson Medical Center, Tucson; Molly Harrington, MLS, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix; Sally Harvey, MLD, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, Phoenix; Susan Irwin, archivist, Arizona Historical Society of Tempe; Wallace Mulligan, MD, former medical director, Sage Memorial Hospital, Ganado, Ariz.; and Ms. K. Wauneka, RN, a graduate of Sage Memorial Hospital School of Nursing.
For more information about the display, contact the Arizona Health Sciences Library, Hannah Fisher, 520-626-2933, email Hannah@AHSL.arizona.edu or visit the website, www.ahsl.arizona.edu