WHAT: Groundbreaking ceremony for the new hospital tower
WHEN: 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Thursday, May 26, 2016
WHERE: Construction site, immediately west of the hospital*
TUCSON, Ariz. – Media are invited to attend a groundbreaking ceremony at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, May 26, for the $400 million, nine-story tower at Banner – University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., slated to open in early 2019.
Hospital physicians, staff, neighbors and University of Arizona and community leaders are invited.
Speakers at the ceremony will be:
- Kathy Bollinger, executive vice president, Banner – University Medicine
- Tom Dickson, chief executive officer, Banner – University Medical Center Tucson
- Ann Weaver Hart, University of Arizona president
- Akinlolu Ojo, MD, associate vice president for Clinical Research and Health Initiatives, UA Health Sciences
- Charles Cairns, MD, dean, UA College of Medicine – Tucson
- Jonathan Rothschild, mayor of Tucson
The nine-story tower is the centerpiece of $1 billion in construction undertaken by Banner Health in support of the UA Colleges of Medicine and academic medical centers in Tucson and Phoenix.
For more information about the tower and a webcam view of the construction, please see:
* To access the construction site and groundbreaking ceremony, please park in the main visitor parking garage, enter the hospital through the main lobby and continue through the hospital cafeteria, exiting the back (west) door and down the stairs.